A few interesting links about Photography, Technology, Social Media, and Gadgets that I’ve come across recently. Some are smart, some are funny, and some are just plain dumb, but they are all interesting for one reason or another. Have a look and let me know what you think? (NOTE – I haven’t updated this in a long time, so some of these are pretty old. They’re still good though!)
- I Wished I had Watched This Video Before Last Tuesday….
Scott Kelby provides an interesting link to a video on how to photograph college basketball. It’s worth a watch if you photograph sports at all.
- Facing the changes: ’s new pages
has recently rolled out major changes to the design of its Pages.
- OnOne Software Giving Away Free Templates & Graphics
- I Just Became An UPstrap Fan
I've used an UpStrap for years and it really is great. I prefer my home made sling strap (R-Strap) now, but the up-strap still has its uses.
- DIY Portable Wedding Photo Booth
I've wanted to build something like this for awhile now. This is a pretty cool idea!
- Trick Mobile Sites, View The Desktop Version Instead On Android! | Android in Canada Blog
Web sites that force me to use a mobile version of the site on my phone withouts providing any option to see the full version of the site drive me nuts. Here's a way to fix that on Android!s
- Have Camera Will Travel: Forget about the big steps in your photography career
Becoming a photographer is generally a series of small steps. If you sit around and wait for one massive leap (ie. the Big Break) it probably won't happen. Instead you should work hard everyday and make your own Big Break…
- Capture 720P HD With Any LiveView Capable Canon Camera | DIYPhotography.net
Here's a way to use any Canon camera that has Live View mode to record 720p HD video, even if it doesn't actually have a movie mode. Of course the camera will have to be tethered to a computer, but that's pretty easy to do.
- Ethan Meleg – Nature Photography Blog: Photo Van conversion – phase 1 (screens)
Now this is a serious nature photographer. He needs screens in the windows and doors of his vehicle to keep the bugs out while out on photo expeditions…
- Presetpond | A Community for Sharing Lightroom and Aperture Presets
A brand new resource for free user-created Lightroom presets. There are lots of great Lightroom presets out there, but this site makes it EASY to find them. And to share them.
- Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » New Writeup: Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality
The most comprehensive look at what Lightroom does when exporting images to JPG that has ever been written. Interesting, but your mileage definitely varies between images.
- Lightroom – Exposure vs. Brightness | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
Matt Kloskowski has a great comparison of the Brightness and Exposure sliders in Lightroom. In summary, exposure affects the entire image, brightness changes only the midtones without touching the highlights or the shadows.
- How to Photograph Dragonflies (free eBook!) | PhotoNaturalist
Free eBook on photographing Dragonflies. The information presented is very useful for any other small and beautiful item you might wish to capture as well…